In the last episode (May 03), Chris Knipe said:
> I have a P4 system with 1GB Ram and 512MB Swap (a little low I know).
>
> I'm running a multi threaded MySQL installation on it.  With a bit of
> shock, I realised today that I ran completely out of swap space!!!
> Each MySQL thread is consuming about 160MB of ram, and I had close to
> 40 threads running.  All my databases currently are approximately
> 1.5GB as far as file size goes, so it's not *that* much really.  The
> biggest table is MyISAM (for delayed inserts), holding approximately
> 2million records currently.

Threads don't have their own memory.  The process as a whole does.  I
can only assume you're running a Linux 2.4 kernel that displays threads
with separate pids in top, which causes all sorts of confusion.  They
all share the same address space though so it's only using 160MB.  If
you're swapping, chances are it's something else at fault.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]