Well... it's part of the SELECT statement, so you could try looking at the SELECT documentation...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/select.html

That has a good 9 paragraphs on the 'INTO OUTFILE' part of the SELECT statement. It also refers you to...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/load-data.html

Which has some more info you might find useful.

Chris

Homam S.A. wrote:

NOTE: I sent this message yesterday, but for some
reason it didn't show up in the list. If you've
already received it, I apologize for the
inconvenience.

So here it goes again:

I searched the online manual and all I could find was a reference to a statement of the form:

SELECT INTO OUTFILE...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ansi-diff-select-into-table.html

I searched for this statement on the web and I found
several references to a statement that should look
like this:

select * into outfile 'C:/MyOutfile.txt'
fields terminated by ','
lines terimated by '|'
from myTable

This statement generates a syntax error on MySQL
4.1.9. The following variation also generates a syntax
error:

select * from table into outfile 'C:/MyOutfile.txt'
fields terminated by ','
lines terimated by '|'
from myTable

Why is this statement rejected? Why is it not
documented anywhere in the manual except for a passing
reference?

And if there's no such a statement, how come there are
many references to it on the web that date back to
MySQL versions older than 4.1.9?

Finally, if this statement has been depricated/removed
from 4.1.9, is there any way to export a table to a
CSV file?

Thanks,

Homam