On 6/05/2005 4:18 p.m., Mark Sargent wrote:
Ok, I just took a punt, and changed the setting in my.cnf to reflect the config settings, to /tmp/mysql.sock, and all is well. What I don't un, is, why the default settings were like this, I certainly made no changes to either the configs or the my.cnf file. Weird. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Hi Mark,

The default location for the socket file in modern distributions is in the MySQL data directory now (usually /var/lib/mysql), as /tmp is not always 100% safe, and in /tmp it is liable to be e.g. cleaned up by tmpwatch. And I expect if you were to talk in terms of filesystem standards, /tmp would not be the 'correct' place for a socket file.

-Simon