You can use mysqldump to create a text version of your database. Mysqldump
will generate the statements that will both (re)generate your tables and
populate them with data.  It may be the "low tech" solution you asked
about. Just "dump" your DB to file (memory stick, zip disk, CD-RW) and
move it en masse from one machine to the other.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine