Brent,

I'd disagree with your felling that today's disk drives are more reliable
than dive years ago.

I used to think of disk failures as a rare event, but now that they are
producing such high capacity parts for next to nothing, I think quality has
suffered.

I've heard of a lot more people suffering drive failures (in PCs, laptops
and servers) recently.  Also, I believe that Fujitsu produced an enormous
batch of disks which had a very high failure rate.

Whatever, I'd say make sure you've always got hot standby disks in your raid
arrays, and keep decent backups :-)

Andy