Hi Mathias,

Thanks a lot for your comments. In MS SQL we have something which can achieve this very simply:

select Top 1 * from Table1 with (updlock,readpast)

I am looking for something exactly similar to this in MySQL. Creating temp tables will not work for me as the no of users for the system could be as high as 500.

Regards,
Ramesh G