First I would like to start off by saying I am a complete noobie to MySQL.
I have MySQL 4.0 running on a freebsd machine. All was fine and dandy till I tried to connect to it using the W32 MySQL Administrator tool. Now if I try and execute a script against it I get "DBI connect failed : Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'". I can get my scripts to work if I start mysql with ./safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &. That will let the scripts run until I try and change any users privs or passwords. I have noticed that when I run mysql with the --skip-grant-tables flag I get all of my dbs showing in mysqlshow, and as soon as I try and change a user it changes to just showing just a test db when I execute mysql show.
./mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| bayesspam |
| bulletin |
| count |
| mysql |
| policyd |
| radius |
| test |
| users |
./mysqlshow
| Databases |
| test |

Please give me some pointers on where to go to fix this. I have googled and searched the archives and I haven't come up with anything that works.

--Jeff