I am running MySQL (3.23.27 at this point) with Apache1.3.12 and PHP3 on
a PC running Redhat 6.0.  My problem has survived upgrades of all
components from earlier versions.

Every PHP page has at least one query to a MySQL database for session
tracking (home-rolled code, not PHPLib or anything off the shelf)  There
are also on some pages other queries, to a different database, same
server (same mysql).  Most of the latter are Phorum queries.

Periodically the number of mysql instances that show up in 'ps auxww'1
gets to about 30 and mysql no longer listens to PHP/Apache.  However I
can still use the mysql shell with no problem, so MySQL is still running
but can't hear anything from PHP.

The only way to fix it is to run 'apachectl restart' or equivalent.
'graceful' doesn't do it.  I"m not sure if restarting MySQL instead
works.  After Apache is restarted, the mysql processes are down to 3 and
everybody's happy again.

I have been trying for months to figure out what is happening and how to
fix it.  I had heard at one point that there was a problem with Redhat
5.2 kernel that caused a similar problem, but I upgraded that but no joy.

Temporarily I have built a kluge cron job that restarts apache every so
often, which worked as long as the server was low volume.  But now usage
is dramatically increasing due to some new web sites that have been
installed and announced to the entire corporation.  So the problem is
triggered before the restart cleans up the mess.  I can't have it
restarting every 20 minutes.

I've also changed every instance of pconnect() to connect() where I can,
but no difference.

Can anybody tell me anything useful?  I'm supposed to come back with a
firm fixit schedule tomorrow morning, so please email me directly as
well as on the list - I'm afraid I'll miss it in the volume on the list.
  If I don't get this fixed very shortly my consulting contract with
this company will no doubt begin to fade out!!

Thanks in advance,
Gary Bickford