Remember guys, I went through this on the phpmyadmin list before turning here.

I was told to run the command 'mysqladmin variables' to find out where the the socket was; I did that successfully and it showed up at /var/mysql/mysql.sock.

And viola, now with mysqld running, it does show up there, at /var/ mysql/mysql.sock.
When I shutdown mysqld it is gone, from /var/mysql.

(Btw, once in a recent post of mine, Philip referred to my leaving out the leading / at 'var', that was simply a typo and it was in the script post.)

So, running 'mysql variables' is giving me the socket path and I'm still lost as to what's going why I cannot connect with a simple php script.

Help?!  I'll look for the mysql error log.

Gil