Thanks so far for your advice,

> Is it possible that your application doesn't close connection properly?
that is exactly what also I think is the problem's cause, but I am unable to
locate the place where it actually does happen. My code seems straightforward
and I had looked over it some other more experienced people which were unable
to find the bug as well... weird

> Check with netstat the states of connections between your application
> and server.
'$ netstat | grep mysql' dumps a list increasing proportionally to 'mysql>
show full processlist' up to the point where max_connections are reached:
then the mysql processlist reports max_connections+1 pids (including the
terminal I use to get the processlist) whereas a '$ netstat | grep mysql | wc
-l' does never return due to an ever increasing number of open connections.
Each of them is in state TIME_WAIT.

> Do you see some sleeping processes
> with ps utility or 'mysqladmin processlist' command?
AFAIK, 'mysqladmin processlist' prints the same as a 'mysql> show full
processlist', right? It's max_connections sleeping processes plus the
processlist query.

Your hint to watch out for sleeping processes with ps was interesting.
Actually, I have some 14 processes ('ps lax | grep mysql') without running my
program but max_connections+14 if it is running. Each of the processes is
sleeping. I still don't have any idea, do you?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Ronny