"Jan Bartholdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 06/13/2005
07:18:22 AM:

> I want to use a mysql database in a cygwin application (GRASS). Should I
> install mysql under cygwin or does exist any possibilities to use the
> database with myodbc under cygwin only? Thanks, Jan

> ____________
> Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
> Version: AVK 15.0.5403 from 10.06.2005

If I understand Cygwin correctly, it is a Linux shell that runs under
Windows. That gives you 6 possible working combinations to use MySQL.

server - Cygwin, client - Cygwin
server - Cygwin, client - win
server - win, client Cygwin
server - win, client - win
server - other (any OS), client - Cygwin
server - other (any OS), client - win

However, you say that your client is a Cygwin application (GRASS) so that
limits you to configurations 1, 3, and 5.  You can setup and operate a
MySQL server either inside of Cygwin (config 1) or within the Win32
environment that is hosting your Cygwin environment (config 3) or on a
completely different machine (config 5).

How you connect GRASS to MySQL is completely up to its (GRASS's)
implementation. If GRASS needs ODBC to talk to MySQL then you will also
need ODBC installed within Cygwin but that does not mean you must put your
MySQL server there, too. I am NOT a Linux (or Cygwin) expert so I cannot
help you to configure your GRASS client but I think I covered your
question about what your client/server installation options are.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine