At 04:32 AM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
Hi,

I think of using AES Encryption for some time now, because it seems to be
the most secure encryption method in MySQL at this moment
and table
encryption of some sort is not possible.

I really wish MySQL would support table wide encryption because more and more news reports are showing the lax security is causing big problems for companies. Look at the CitiGroup fiasco: http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/business/11886144.htm
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/1118225190236830.xml&coll=7
This is going to cost them millions of dollars in PR and possibly a few lawsuits.

If the database had table wide encryption, the loss of the tapes wouldn't have made the news. Also stories of hard drives walking out of "secure rooms" or re-sold with data still on it, does not instill any confidence in current security protocols. IMHO, table wide encryption would solve a lot of these problems. Other databases have implemented table wide encryption, why not MySQL?

If the government passes a law to force this data to be encrypted, MySQL would be at a definite disadvantage to those databases that have table wide encryption.

Mike