You need to run the script that creates MySql tables (user, hosts, ...)
mysql_install_db in scripts dir.

Santino

At 15:20 -0400 16-06-2005, Paul Mitchell wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Danny Stolle wrote:

if i start my mysqld it creates a mysql.sock because of an option in my.cnf: socket="/tmp/mysql.sock"
when i `mysqladmin -u root shutdown` the database, the mysql.sock is removed.
does your system errors when starting mysqld?

Hello Danny,
Thanks for the info. With it, I've gotten considerably further down the road before my next blow out. I've relocated mysql to /usr/local/mysql, and then made /usr/local/mysql/tmp my data directory, as I was getting errors that my local account "mysql" didn't have permission to create ./ibdata1.

Once that was accomplisghed, the following appeared to accomplish the db creation:

./mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/tmp

Now I have the following in my /usr/local/mysql/tmp directory:

ls -l
total 41014
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    Other       2870 Jun 16 13:29 hazy.err
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   5242880 Jun 16 13:29 ib_logfile0
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   5242880 Jun 16 13:22 ib_logfile1
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   10485760 Jun 16 13:27 ibdata1

significantly, the hazy.err file contains:

050616 13:29:26  mysqld started
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files...
InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite
InnoDB: buffer...
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43634.
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43634
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43634
050616 13:29:26 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
050616 13:29:26  mysqld ended

So far, I haven't found anything on the net which corrects this situation, though the error shows up with pretty good regularity.

I made sure that I had a datadir definition in /etc/my.cnf:

datadir=/usr/local/mysql/tmp

but that doesn't seem to have corrected the problem.

Paul

        Paul Mitchell
        email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        phone: (919) 962-9778
        office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall