Paul Mitchell wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Danny Stolle wrote:

if i start my mysqld it creates a mysql.sock because of an option in my.cnf: socket="/tmp/mysql.sock" when i `mysqladmin -u root shutdown` the database, the mysql.sock is removed.
does your system errors when starting mysqld?

Hello Danny,
Thanks for the info. With it, I've gotten considerably further down the road before my next blow out. I've relocated mysql to /usr/local/mysql, and then made /usr/local/mysql/tmp my data directory, as I was getting errors that my local account "mysql" didn't have permission to create ./ibdata1.

Once that was accomplisghed, the following appeared to accomplish the db creation:

./mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/tmp

Now I have the following in my /usr/local/mysql/tmp directory:

ls -l
total 41014
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    Other       2870 Jun 16 13:29 hazy.err
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   5242880 Jun 16 13:29 ib_logfile0
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   5242880 Jun 16 13:22 ib_logfile1
-rw-rw----   1 mysql    nobody   10485760 Jun 16 13:27 ibdata1

significantly, the hazy.err file contains:

050616 13:29:26  mysqld started
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files...
InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite
InnoDB: buffer...
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43634.
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43634
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
050616 13:29:26  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43634
050616 13:29:26 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
050616 13:29:26  mysqld ended

So far, I haven't found anything on the net which corrects this situation, though the error shows up with pretty good regularity.

I made sure that I had a datadir definition in /etc/my.cnf:

datadir=/usr/local/mysql/tmp

but that doesn't seem to have corrected the problem.

Paul

    Paul Mitchell
    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    phone: (919) 962-9778
    office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall

hello Paul,

i have had the same trouble for a long time, because i moved the data directory and mysql wasn't able to find the system tables also i ran the mysql_install_db in the wrong way.

i have created an install script which only works on suse linux, because of its user and group creation. but i did the following thing for installation:

- first creating a user and group named as mysql
- than installing mysql by binaries -> i copied the dirs/files into
  /etc/mysql/prodocut/{version}/
- creating the soft-link in /usr/local
- than running the script mysql_install_db -> not in the directory
  script, but an upper level so i run: ./scripts/mysql_install_db

after that i assigned the user permissions: user root and group mysql on the install directory. user mysql group mysql on the datadir.

i have used this my.cnf as start up -> please change if you'd like.

[client]
host="localhost"
port=3306
socket="/tmp/mysql.sock"
user="could be root"
password="your password"

[mysql]
line-numbers
table
tee=/tmp/mysql-all.log
prompt=([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [\\d]>\\_

[mysqld]
big-tables
bind-address="mysql-server ip-address"
core-file
datadir="your data directory"
flush
lower_case_table_names=1
log-bin="{dir}/mysql/bin.log"
log-bin-index="{dir}/bin-index.log"
log-isam="{dir}/mysql/isam.log"
log-update="{dir}/mysql/update.log"
log-slow-queries="{dir}/slow-queries.log"
log-long-format
low-priority-updates
log-error="{dir}/error.log"
skip-locking
port=3306
socket="/tmp/mysql.sock"
temp-pool
tmpdir="/tmp"
user="would be mysql"
lower_case_table_names=1

if changing your datadir, be sure to copy the entire data directory which was created by mysql after running the script and assign the proper permissions. (create it first than copy it to the desired location.)

running the script 'mysql_install_db' needed to be done directly in the main directory of mysql and not in the script directory it self. (run ./scripts/mysql_install_db)

Best Regards,

Danny Stolle
Netherlands
EmoeSoft