probably biased towards AMD.

money is a powerful thing, which is why it should be taken with a grain of salt as you stated. i would guess the 12% decrease on 64bit xeon and 32% increase on 64bit opteron is BS. why didn't they try itanium instead? ;)

David Griffiths wrote:

Anandtech has an interesting article (http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447) on hardware for Linux database servers.

Some very interesting conclusions:

1) Moving to 64-bit MySQL on a 64-bit Xeon actually decreases performance by about 12% on average, while an Opteron running 64-bit MySQL gets a 32% performance increase.

2) Innodb scales better (obviously)

3) A server with one CPU that has a dual-core Opteron (the X2 CPUs) is faster than a server with two single-core CPUs.

4) SuSE SLES 9.1 outperforms Gentoo by about 12%

I would take Anandtech with a grain of salt - this isn't what they normally do, and I can't verify their benchmarking was reasonably accurate (surprised at the disks they used - one ATA, one SCSI).

David.