Have any of you MySQL/FreeBSD cats successfully set innodb_buffer_pool_size > 2G without runing into any of the memory allocation problems found on Linux platforms?

Although I have been given good advice to migrate to an AMD platform overcome this limitation (and will do so eventually), I am looking for a shorter-term solution to beat this 2Gb malloc limit on a 32-bit machine.

Can it be done with FreeBSD? Are there any memory allocation issues when linking to the Linux Thread Library? Are there other FreeBSD tuning measures that need to be taken?

Looking forward to hearing from those who have charted this territory.

Thanks,

Brady