Yes You can have both versions, infact this is the preferred way to
upgrade, but the only thing is that have the new version install in
/usr/local/mysql2/ or what ever you want and change the port that the
newer daemon listens on instead of the default 3306, here's a good
link from the doc's of mysql...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html

Hope this helps,
Kishore Jalleda