I'm starting to play with linux. Till now I have over my shoulders three days experience with it :-)

I have been able to install and successfully run mysql 4.1.12 but something it's happening I cannot understand (no surprise)

With my sql stopped I go to console as root and write:

cd /etc/init.d
mysql start

and get this error: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

but with

cd /var/lib/mysql
/etc/init.d/mysql start

server gets up and ready.

PS: I have just find that:

cd /etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/mysql start

works fine too!!!

I would like to learn what's the difference between "mysql start" and "/etc/init.d/mysql start" if I'm sitting on "/etc/init.d"

I think this error is preventing mysql from automatically starting on start up.