Mathias,

Thanks a lot!

I will not explain the same thing for sqlserver, sybase ..., but when your RDBMs have a data dictionnary, you don't need to execute count(*) :o) WITH Updated
statistics of course.

I'm a little bit confused here. Why the count(*) is not transformed to a
select from the data dictionary if this way is faster? And what's the
difference between updated statistics and statistics not updated?

With information_schema in 5.x and higher, innodb will act as it's done in all
the other RDBMS.

Hope that helps

Sure! It helped by orders of magnitured more than I thought it can help ;-)

:o)
Mathias

--
Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client