stat error seems like a permissions error.

I'd guess it's a permissions problem.   Perhaps figure out what user the
process trying to stat the file is running under and then figure out
what permissions that user has on the file in question.
(Also check the directory chain going up for permissions being
appropriate?).

luck,
Tyler