It's always a good idea to keep the thread on the list. That way, more people can help solve the problem, and others may benefit from the answers.

Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
Here is what happens:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON test.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'testing';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.09 sec)

mysql> Bye
Oliver:~ chris$ mysql mysql -u joe -p
Enter password: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'joe'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

That doesn't tell us anything. You only granted joe access to the test db, so he cannot access the mysql db. Hence, this error is expected. In any case, logging in is not the test.

I need you to do all the steps I asked, in order, to help us narrow this down. Could you:

1) Log in as root and

  SHOW GRANTS FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED];

and send the output.

2) Restart the server in your usual way (you still haven't specified what that is).

3) Log in as root once more, enter

  SHOW GRANTS FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED];

and send that output.

If my suspicion is correct, joe won't exist after the restart. Even if I'm wrong, however, that will tell us something. I can't make any progress, though, until you do all thre steps in order and report the results.

Michael