Dear MySQL,

Yesterday we had a complete lock on our MySQL 4.1.9.

If I connected to it TCP, it would make the connection and hang.

If I connected through the UNIX port, it would report no such file 'mysql.port'.

If I 'kill' or used the stop, nothing would happen.

Eventually I had to 'kill -9'.  I don't think we lost any data fortunately.

It had been suggested that our DNS failed prior to this event. I don't think MySQL uses DNS, but I am not entirely sure.

Would any person know what may have caused this?

If I get a state where a 'kill' will not cause MySQL to exit. Is there any other know way to ask MySQL to exit cleanly?

Regards,

Ben Clewett.