Funny you should bring up this subject, as it was recently rehashed
(more like re-re-re-re-hashed!) on perlmonks.org in this discussion
thread:

http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=481652

The conclusion of the discussion(s) is that there are valid reasons to
use single and double quotes in various circumstances, and that the CPU
difference due to possible variable interpolation is minor compared to
other considerations.

If performance is a problem for your app, your time would be better
spent profiling your code and address real issues before addressing the
non-issue of variable interpolation.

JT