From: Kishore Jalleda [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: August 19, 2005 10:35 PM
To: John Gonzales
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: need help with foreign keys, new to mysql

check the permissions on the mysql data dir, may be the user mysql or
who ever runs mysql does not have sufficient privileges
Kishore Jalleda

On 8/19/05, John Gonzales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

i am creating my own little blog and i am trying to create a comments

table

that uses the primary key of my blog table as a foreign key. i've tried

the

only two ways that i know how and both ways yielded the same error:

#1005 - Can't create table '.\mydatabase\comments.frm' (errno: 150)

i orginally created the comments table before i read about FOREIGN KEYS,

so

i tried executing the following command:

ALTER TABLE comments
ADD FOREIGN KEY(comment_journal_id)
REFERENCES journal(journal_id)
ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE;

which resulted with the same error as listed above. so not really knowing
what i was doing, i decided to try and create the comments table from
scratch using the following the command thinking that it might work (which
it didn't):

CREATE TABLE comments(
comment_id INT,
journal_id INT,
INDEX jrn_ind( journal_id ) ,
FOREIGN KEY ( journal_id ) REFERENCES journal( journal_id )
ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
) TYPE = INNODB

now before i go and do something stupid, i thought i might ask for some

help

on this issue :D both my blog and comments tables are InnoDB.