Maybe I am taking your rant the wrong way, and I apologize if I am, but:

<RANT>
You've seen what all the time?

I'm using RHEL because the I can't find drivers for RH7.3 for the new Dell servers (raid controllers, etc...) we bought. I don't want or need the support from RedHat but we had to buy RHEL in order to be compatible with the hardware.

I do not use binaries if I can help it. I much prefer to compile everything from source, so that I can enable or disable features and modules to my liking. With binaries you get what someone else has compiled for you. Isn't that why we are not using Microsoft?
</RANT>

Now that I'm done. I have looked in the config.log and through the Makefiles. It wasn't finding the libraries for some reason. I have since resolved this issue, and am including my steps below. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but this was a quick fix for me.

My configure command was as follows:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysqld-user=mysqld --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/zlib --with-openssl=/usr/local/openssl --with-openssl-libs=/usr/local/openssl/lib --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/openssl/include --without-innodb CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/zlib/include

I was still getting errors for zlib and ssl functions. So I waded through the Makefiles and added the following to these Makefiles.

add "-ldl -lz -L/usr/local/zlib/lib" to the libs parameter of /Software/MySQL/mysqlx.x/vio/Makefile

add “-ldl” to libs parameter of /Software/MySQL/mysqlx.x/client/Makefile

add “-ldl” to libs parameter of /Software/MySQL/mysqlx.x/tests/Makefile

after adding the above to the appropriate Makefiles, the rest of the configuration, make, and make install ran smoothly.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Sean

Enrique Sanchez Vela wrote:

<rant>

 I've seen it all the time but that is because I
never've used Red Hat Enterprise Edition, if I were
going to use it, I would be using MySQL binaries since
that is the only way you could get support from MySQL
and given that you are using the Enterprise Edition of
the OS, tells me that you would be looking to get
support from RedHat as well.

</rant>

Now I am done with my rant..look at the config.log
file, it will display everysingle step ./configure is
taking to configure the build process. way down to the
bottom, you will find the program and command line
MySQL's configure was using to test for ssl
availabilty.

regards,
esv.

Enrique Sanchez Vela