Hello,

First all it is not recommended at all to dump and
import user information.

Secondly the user authentication system has changed
between 4.0 and 4.1 so old passwords from 4.0 wont
work. Its given in the docs.

Thirdly, MySQL does not store the actual password in
its database. It always keeps a hash of the password
and all the comparison are done against it.

Karam