Very sorry for having troubled all regarding the seemingly stupid rtfm garnering request for help.

But in my attempt to make the question as simple and succinct as possible, i forgot to state one EXTREMELY important chunk of information.

I can't use SQLCALCFOUNDROWS because there is a subqry in my statement.
SQLCALCFOUNDROWS does not like being in the subqry, always gives me an error (it runs fine as a standalone query though)

The total row count has to be from the subqry, because thats where the LIMIT is.

Many thanks and apologies.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

RTFM - It is online, it has an index, and it is searchable: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/select.html (hint: look for the phrase "how many rows" on this page)

If you looked in the index for "rows", you would find the function ROW_COUNT() (which is close but not exactly what you wanted). However, by clicking on the link next to that function, you wind up at another page that also has the answer you seek.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine