My hunch here is that your ' ' in the CONCAT_WS defaults to latin1_swedish_ci.

It seems you're right. There are a few variables that are still in default mode which I discovered through the SHOW VARIABLES command. I've tried to switch them, but I'm obviously using the syntax incorrectly. I looked in the manual for variable settings, and it says to use the SET command. But none of these versions work:

SET collation_connection = utf8_general_ci;
or

SET collation_connection (utf8_general_ci);

or

SET collation_connection {utf8_general_ci};

What is the correct syntax for setting this kind of variable?

Dave