This is probably a FAQ, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

Briefly, I am looking for tools that will help me document a database. Visualization would be nice too, so that I could quickly see the relations between tables.

Less briefly. I am new to MySQL, SQL in general and databases. I have inherited a project that uses, Apache, PHP, and MySQL. The MySQL Press book, MySQL Tutorial has been extremely helpful.

My predecessor, who did know something about MySQL, left no documentation. As I am trying to figure out what is what and what the relationships are between tables, I've got paper and pencil pictures, and a text file full of notes. But, mostly it is just an understanding -- for the parts that I understand -- in my head. Now I can always redraw my paper and pencil stuff with something like xfig, but it struck me that there is probably a standard, well conventional, notation for this kind of thing and tools for the purpose.

I'm a bit of a geezer and my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be. Plus, I don't want any successor on this project to curse me quiet as vehemently as I curse my predecessor.

So advice or pointers to advice would be very welcome. As for tools, I'd be looking for things that can run on Unix systems (GNU/Linux and/ or OS X). If I've hit the wrong list, I sure someone will tell me where to go.

Cheers,

-j