Ugh...

mysqladmin -uroot -ptelaurus processlist | grep -c "Sleep"

And it returned 200 sleeping connections, all persistant connections
from our app servers and 4 threads_running

Also a show status gave me a max_used_connections of 236.

If that's the case then I can probably only set it to about 250 which
means if I set my innodb_buffer_pool_size = 100M  and dropping my
key_buffer_size to 250, I'll need 1884M of ram according to the formula
above, which is dangerously close to the 2G limit specified in the
warning on the link above.

Currently the key_reads to Key_reads_requests is about 1:1970 with the
key_buffer_size of 384M, so I guess I can safely drop this to 250M

Even if I changed the entire DB over to InnoDB, and pushed the
key_buffer_size down really low it wouldn't drop the total memory usage
below 1600M.

So what is this telling me?  I need more ram or less connections or I
should just stay with MyISAM?

Thanks,

Jeff