ah hah.... you are righht about the installation....mysql -V shows 4.1 but the SHOW VARIABLES shows 3.something so something went wrong with thhe update.

thanks for that.

Now if I encrypt using AES_ENCRYPT if I expect somebody else to decrypt outside of mySQL I will need to provide the 'password' and the 128 bit key...correct?

Where might I find the key so that I can send it along to them? any suggestions on this?

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Make sure your upgrade actually took:

SHOW VARIABLES like 'ver%';
+-------------------------+-----------------------+
| Variable_name           | Value                 |
+-------------------------+-----------------------+
| version                 | 4.1.12-nt-log         |
| version_comment         | Official MySQL binary |
| version_compile_machine | ia32                  |
| version_compile_os      | Win32                 |
+-------------------------+-----------------------+
4 rows in set (0.02 sec)

spquartz.local_chem>select AES_ENCRYPT('hello','password');
+---------------------------------+
| AES_ENCRYPT('hello','password') |
| ≤h¶
╔▐nφ≈₧(Lα╡⌐p                |
1 row in set (0.11 sec)

If you didn't upgrade completely, the old server is still going to be running and it won't recognize the new function. As you can see, it's working for me and I am on the same version. The manual says that AES_ENCRYPT was added as of 4.0.2 so make sure your server is better than that.

Sorry to not be much help....

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine