Walt Weaver wrote:
Well, forgive me for being a bit skeptical and cynical but this sounds like
spin to me.

As a 17-year Oracle DBA I have never seen Oracle do anything that can
remotely be called benevolent. Larry Ellison buys companies, guts them,
chews them up and spits them in the gutter. I doubt he'll ever buy a company
just because he's caught up in the groovy sunshine world that's Open Source.

And, as an employee of a company that's very, very heavily committed to
MySQL (we're just about completely moved off of Oracle and are using InnoDB)
this whole thing leaves us rather worried.

Remember that InnoDB is open source and GPLed. That means that even if Oracle were to start doing something evil, there's nothing stopping you, the MySQL team, or anyone else starting a fork that remained open source and carried on from the last available open source version.

I don't personally think there's anything to worry about.

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer