I tend to disagree - at my place of employment, a newspaper, we have hundreds of gigabytes of BLOB data (ad and page layouts & digital artwork) stored in SQL databases. Granted we are using Sybase for that and not MySQL but there are a lot of advantages to it - access control, change control and tracking, easy insertion and deletion, and access from any client right through the database driver so you can repurpose content more easily.

I have stored smaller amounts of BLOB data in MySQL for side projects in the past, without trouble.

Do understand though that storing BLOB data in the db will impact your table optimization and repair times as well as backup/recover times.

You might also want to plan ahead and devise a scheme to spread the data among several tables, to allow optimization of just one table a day (for example) and even to allow you to split storage across multiple devices should your database get too large.

Dan