Dan Buettner wrote:
I tend to disagree - at my place of employment, a newspaper, we have hundreds of gigabytes of BLOB data (ad and page layouts & digital artwork) stored in SQL databases. Granted we are using Sybase for that and not MySQL but there are a lot of advantages to it - access control, change control and tracking, easy insertion and deletion, and access from any client right through the database driver so you can repurpose content more easily.

There are situations where it might be useful to store large amounts of binary data in a database. For most situations the best solution is to store metadata about the file in a database and store the file itself on a file system. There have been lots of discussions about it on this list in the past. From those discussions one could conclude that in general a file system is best for storing (large) files and the metadata about these files can live in a database. But there are situations where storing large files in a database has more advantages.

Kind regards, Jigal.