"Logan, David (SST - Adelaide)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 14/10/2005
03:28:15:

> Hi Listers,
>
> Does anybody know if the MyISAM engine (apart from InnoDB) allows the
> use of raw disk space rather than having cooked files? If not, is this
> feature likely to be included in a future release? I had a quick scour
> of the MySQL website but can't seem to find a page with upcoming
> features. Is there such a beast?

Given the way MyISAM works, I would have thought it very unlikely that
this would ever happen. It would mean the SQL team developing their own
special-purpose file system. Why bother, when they already have such a
file system, called InnoDB? It is difficult to see what gain there would
be for investing a very large amount of effort which could probably better
spent elsewhere. As I understand it, the gains of using raw devices with
InnoDB are, while not zero, small.

Why do you want such a feature?

        Alec