Hi Alec,

Thanks for the response. You are probably quite right about the gains,
mostly my query was through curiosity more than anything. I use raw
devices with Informix and a couple of other databases and there are
small improvements to be seen on these products. On very large scale
implementations, the small things can often translate into user
satisfaction and that is a big part of my job 8-)

Unfortunately I don't always get any say on the how and why of the
clients application design and so have to make the best of what I have
been given to manage. Often we are presented with the hardware as a
"fait accompli" so if we can get an improvement, no matter how small,
they tend to become important.

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator