Hi!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"lu ming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/14/2005 12:20:19 AM:

Hi, joerg

   Thank you very much!
But i want to know more about this problem. I find a perl script
about
mysql server's test in the mysql-test subdirectory(/mysql-test/mysql-test-run.pl). Is this the test script written by perl what could replace the shell script(/mysql-test/mysql-test-run.sh) in Windows mentioned in your
e-mail?

It will be the one. It is not yet finished.

Could it be rightly run in windows now? Or it cann't be run due to the unfinished work?

You can run it, but you may have problems interpreting the results. Several tests will seem to "fail", just because some output differs from the expected one. Obviously, much output is platform dependent (starting with file names, then process or thread IDs, ...), and the tests do not yet allow for the output generated on Windows.

Note that I say "output", not "database result"!

Are the perl scripts that mentioned in your e-mail included in the MySQL Server's Unix source distributions(mysql-5.0.12-beta-linux) ?

Yes, they are included (AFAIK - not checked), but they are "under construction" even for Unix. Just today, I fixed another problem in them, that had shown up during our internal 5.0 builds.

Are the perl test scripts only used in Mysql's internal works now?

Obviously, I cannot guarantee that nobody else is using them.
But we have not proposed to anybody outside MySQL to do so.

The problems are more with Windows than with the script. The testing script was written in BASH (I believe) which does not have an interpreter for Windows (outside of Cygwin. However if you are inside Cygwin, you really aren't working with Windows any more.)

Just for completeness: If anybody wants to use Unix style tools (shell, awk, ed, tr, sed, lex/bison/yacc, ...) in a Windows environment, I propose to look at MinGW because these are native Windows binaries.

Several other scripting languages do have interpreters for Windows: VBScript (d), JScript (d), PHP, Python, PERL, and more. (d) = installed by default.

Right. So for us, Perl is the language of choice, as we can make it available on all platforms.

I think that the mysql testing script is being ported from BASH into PERL and when that happens you will have the ability to run it on any Windows system configured to run PERL scripts. Until then, we Win32 people just trust the binaries and avoid compiling our own copies unless we absolutely need to.

We will see not to disappoint that trust, and appreciate it. Thanks!

Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com