"Joe Herman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/14/2005 01:42:41 PM:

> Hello, I am just starting with MySQL and PHP, but this discussion about
> innodb has rather piqued my interest. Can someone please give a brief
> explanation as to what it is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joe.

In a nutshell, InnoDB is one of the data storage engines distributed with
MySQL (there are several). If you use the InnoDB storage engine to
maintain your data you get certain features not available with some of the
other storage engines (row-level locking, transction control, foreign
keys, etc.). Each storage engine has it's strengths and weaknesses,
including InnoDB, and which one will work best for you depends on your
particular needs.

Full details are in the manual which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you read
(especially because you are new):
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

I recommend you stick with the "HTML, viewable online" version that
applies to the version of your MySQL server and in your preferred language
(translations are towards the bottom of the page). The online copies are
indexed and searchable (even the translations) and you should become well
acquainted with them. Look first for the section that describes the
different storage engines for any specific information you need to answer
your immediate question.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine