Gleb Paharenko wrote:
Hello.
Are you sure that you have the same problem (the same character set
settings, same broken cyrillic characters and so on)? If not, please,
provide as much info as you can. Delyan was using cyrillic symbols with
latin1 encoding, which is not designed for this purposes.
4.1.5-gamma-log is a very old release. Check if the problem remains if
you use mysqldump which is shipped with 4.1.14 distribution.

Let's go step by step:

- database server is the same MySQL 4.1.5-gamma
- 'All charset variables are set to default 'latin1', except 'character_set_system', which is utf8' is the same
- 'data it gets (from php) were in utf8' is the same
- 'Mysqldump is used without any options' is the same
- 'When importing back into the same database some characters (non latin,cyrillic in fact) get broken' this not the 'same': I get many other characters broken not only cyrillic. Users stores data in many encodings: hebrew, thai, cyrillic, etc...

When you say:

>Delyan was using cyrillic symbols with latin1 encoding, which is not designed for this purposes.

what do you really mean? I cannot have different symbols (hebrew, thai, cyrillic) in same table!? I wouldn't say so. This project started when MySQL didn't have support for UTF-8 encoding and because of that all tables are by default latin1.

>4.1.5-gamma-log is a very old release

So what? The server is the same one on which backup was made.

>Check if the problem remains if you use mysqldump which is shipped with 4.1.14 distribution

Unfortunately I cannot do this.

What do you suggest me as solution, how I can get my data back? I cannot believe that is not possible to restore data the same way it was stored. The fact is that utf8 data was stored in latin1 tables and I want that data back in same way.