Sorry, Sean, I think I forgot in the emails to you to mention that the
MySQL server is running on a Solaris machine, I am trying to connect the
database from a XP machine which is the one I am using.

I tried the same program in other Solaris machine, it works fine. I also
noticed that the other Solaris machines are in the same subnet as the one
in which Mysql server is running, all of them have 129.173.23.*, but the
XP machine is different: 129.173.105.*, could it be possible the firewall
on the Solaris system (I already turned off the firewall on the XP when I
tried to connect to the mysql server.) block the connection from the XP to
the port 3306 though I can use ssh or putty, winscp from the XP machine to
remotely log in those Solaris machines.

Again, thank you very much for your time and patience. I do appreciate it.

Xiaobo