  -----Mensagem original-----
  De: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Enviada em: quarta-feira, 2 de novembro de 2005 17:37
  Para: Fabricio Mota
  Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
  Assunto: Re: Delivery by Demand

  "Fabricio Mota" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/02/2005 10:23:46 AM:

  > Hi all,
  >
  > In the past, I worked as a Oracle user. I've noted that in oracle (or
maybe
  > in that configuration), when we request a great amount of data, such
like:

  > select * from million_records_table
  >
  > It does not delivers the entire table at the first moment. It delivers a
  > little amount of data - such like a single page containing about 100
  > records - and awaits the cursor request the Record No 101 for fetch the
next
  > set of data.
  >
  > In MySQL - at least, with the default configuration I have used - it
does
  > not happens. It delivers all the million of records existent in the
table,
  > inconditionally. I know that there is the clause LIMIT <N>, to limit the
  > first N records existing in the query, but is there a way to warrant a
  > "delivery by demand", such Oracle does, without to have to alter the
  > application's SQL code?
  >
  > Thank you

  I know that in the C-API (and others) there are two commands to retrieve
records from the server. One is mysql_store_result() which will bring all of
your results into your machine in a single pull.

  The second is mysql_use_result(). That command sets up a transfer process
of pulling the rows from the server one at a time. If you need 100 rows of
data, you issue 100 mysql_fetch_row() commands. You are responsible for
storing the records for later re-use.

  Is that the flexibility you are looking for?

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-use-result.html

  Shawn Green
  Database Administrator
  Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine