Marc Pidoux wrote:
I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000 members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...

It's not an easy question to answer, Marc.

Win/IIS/ASP/MSSQL might need a bit more hardware to run on compared to Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (aka LAMP). The license costs for a LAMP setup will probably be higher. Both will be able to do the job.

What you have to include in your decision is what the company you work for is used to have. It's not easy and probably expensive too if they have to support another OS/webserver/scripting languag/database than they're used to. Another point of consideration is what you are used to. You mention years of experience in using ASP. If that means you have to learn PHP/MySQL from scratch then that will be very expensive also (counting the extra hours you have to spend to learn all the ins and outs of both PHP and MySQL).

Kind regards, Jigal.