At 22:38 -0500 11/8/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
There can also be a [mysql] section that will apply to all applications
that read the my.cnf file. It is sort of the "default" section.

Eh?

The [mysql] section applies to the mysql client program and not
to anything else.

[mysql]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

I put the same socket location into EACH section. Yes it's overkill but it
makes sure that no matter which section a particular program reads, it
sees the same socket location. Make sense? If you need multiple  sockets
(because you are running multiple servers) this setup will not work for
you. But, since I do not think you run multiple servers on the same
machine, we should be safe.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"David Inglis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/08/2005
09:58:09 PM:

 Thanks for your prompt reply

 I have tried a few different things and looked at the docs your pointed
me
 to still no luck

 here is the my.cnf file

 [mysqld]
 datadir=/var/lib/mysql
 socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

 [mysql.server]
 user=mysql
 basedir=/var/lib

 [safe_mysqld]
 err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
 pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

 My version is server version: 3.23.36 on redhat linux