Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the explanation, I will try the SET NAMES to export my XML file in utf8 (I actually want it to be in utf8) I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but as I said before I'm kind of lost with the encodings....

I asked almost the same here about a week ago, so I don't think it's a basic question. Character encoding can be a hard question, and the current documentation is not the best (IMHO) about telling how it works with MySQL.

there is no conversion done, and mysql will stil be happy to export utf8 (if asked to do so with a set names). So what is the role of the character set and collation at the database level?From what I understand the collation is used when you want to order results for example, case sensitive or not for example.Is that correct and then what is the character set used for?

I have no experiments with it (yet), but I think character set is used for string manipulation, like uppercase or lowercase. I'm just guessing.

If you write an hungarian article about your test, maybe you will plan an english translation?or is hungarian hard to learn? :-)

The truth is that I have a very limited free time, so I can't tell you that I will be able to translate it. I don't think Hungarian is hard to learn, because 10+ millions of people know it very well, but foreign people says it is not so easy to learn it. :)

Bye,
  Andras