"Murray @ PlanetThoughtful" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/11/2005
08:44:37 PM:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently upgraded from MySQL 4.1.14 to 5.0.15 on my WinXP machine.
>
> For some reason my root login can't access the mysql database anymore,
> though I can use it to access the databases I have defined. In effect,
> it seems as though I have no real root (or administrator level, if
> that's a better way of putting it) login anymore...
>
> Does anyone know how I go about granting administrator privileges to
> root for the mysql database?
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Much warmth,
>
> Murray @ PlanetThoughtful

Are you talking about "root" the OS user or "root" the MySQL user account?
One or more of the following sections may apply to your situation:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/common-errors.html

MySQL may have a user called root or not. It all depends on how it has
been setup.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/privilege-system.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator