Are you trying to restart the master server, or 'reseting' the master?
my master server always shutdown daily, and the slave happily catch up
the next day, it's been goin for some 6 months with heavy traffic

it's a different story if you want to reset the master, you should
capture the master and send it again to the slave (i've done this
several times too, and it's painfully slow)

changing the binlog-do-db afaik would not trouble the replication,
unless it's a new database that hasnt been replicated earlier

-
leo