I am doing a balance line comparison between the rows of an existing table and a text file that has newer data in it. So I'm comparing the values field by field to the existing rows in the table. If any of the field values are different, I need to update the table with these new values. The table has around 25 million rows and usually only 1% of the table needs to be compared.

I've found 2 ways to update the table with the new values:

1) I could write the new values to a text file and then use "Load Data InFile REPLACE ..." which will replace the existing rows for the rows that need changing. The problem of course the REPLACE option means it will look up the old row using the primary key/unique key, deletes the row, then adds the new row. This is disk intensive.

2) The other option would be to execute an Update for each row that needs changing and set the changed columns individually. This means the existing row will not have to be deleted and only some of the existing row value(s) are changed. The problem is there could be 10,000 to 100,000 rows that need changing.

So which option is going to be faster? A Load Data Infile that deletes the old row and adds a new one, or thousands of Updates changing only 1 to 6 values at a time?

TIA

Mike