You're going to have to read the manual on the different types of
indexes.  Without knowing what kind of index (Hash, B-tree) you're
using and on what kind of table, I cannot help you.

Parts of Chapter 14 of the MySQL manual are good, as is the section on
query indexing (starting p.301) of the DuBois book (3rd Edition).

-Sheeri