Xiaobo Chen wrote:

I am not sure if you're trying to connect from outside of your office
newwork. If you try 'telnet' using 3306 (forgot the syntax, check the
Mysql site)outside your office network and if you couldn't get
through,(otherwise you will get some garbage characters) then you can't
connect to the database from outside. I had once had such connection
issue. If that will be your case, I guess you have to ask admin for help,
it's not mysql at all. If your database is on a XP box, you need to create
a service and open the 3306 port there (assuming you have firewall on it,
otherwise you shouldn't have this issue.)

Good luck.

As far as the servlet is concerned, it is connecting locally in localhost. But yes, I can also connect remotely using a MySQL Gui such as SQLYog.