A couple of good links for databases.

Database Design (quick and dirty, but gets the points across):
http://www.geekgirls.com/menu_databases.htm - the from scratch side

SQL:
Basics: http://www.sqlcourse.com (you probably already know this stuff -
        but just in case.
semi-Advanced: http://sqlcourse2.com (joins are specifically at
        http://sqlcourse2.com/joins.html).

Maurice van Peursem wrote:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the database-scene. I've installed MySQL on Mac OSX 10.3, which was easy. I've installed Perl support for MySQL, which was suprisingly difficult. I've installed CocoaMySQL (http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/) to create, inspect and backup databases. And now I'm building my first database, and that is not as easy as I had hoped. I know that use of the 'JOIN' keyword can save me pages of Perl code, but how it works exactly is not yet clear to me.

Therefore I'm looking for a book, or maybe other documentation (on the web?), that can point me in the right direction. More specifically, I'm looking for a book that explains how to design and build databases, with examples of the queries in MySQL. Most books describe how you install MySQL, and list the SQL commands, but this information I already have. Can any of you suggest to me some helpful learning material?

Thanks,
Maurice van Peursem
The Netherlands

--